Monday, June 18, 2012

089 Who Killed Cock Robin?


Title: Who Killed Cock Robin?
Studio: Disney
Date: 06/26/35
Credits: -
Series: Silly Symphonies
Running time (of viewed version): 11:42 with Walt; 8:28 without.
Commercial DVD Availability: SSv1d1 (hidden under famous characters, under a bird symbol on the menu; bastards)

Synopsis: Shot through the heart, the mystery of sho shot cock robin is to be solved, and barring that, punishment will be meted out to someone.




















Comments: Walt claims everyone knows the rhyme relating to Cock Robin. I did not. And I had to read Catullus in Latin. Walt actually gives a pretty good Michael Barrier impression providing historical commentary on the story, which is somewhat interesting. They may have been calling PM Robert Walpole (aka Sir Robin) a cock. Walt says they made it in '34 (which is likely at least partially true, tho incorrect in terms of release). Also mentions caricatures, without naming anyone as such. Opening music a bit like '39 WB. Jenny Wren obviously Mae West. Cock Robin is Bing, I think. Shadow shot. Sound effects sound wrong. Heh, "The Old Crow Bar". Keystone Kop-esque cops with their tall hats? Harpo taken from the bar; Edward G. Robinson maybe? Some croaking voiced porter character; not sure which of the famous African American actors it was supposed to be; the Edward G Robinson didn't sound like him. (Other sources say it's Stepin Fetchit; this makes sense as "fetch it" appears in the rhyme, tho the bird is not a linnet in the cartoon.) A bunch of beating with a stick on him tho. I don't like the look of that jury. Not sure of the prosecutor or judge are supposed to be anyone. Lots of gratuitous police beating. Lots of eye makeup on Harpo. I suppose this is actually an inquest, not a trial. No, hang them all, it's a trial. "We don't know who is guilty, so we're going to hang them all". Cupid is a mighty sissy, but he has less eyemakeup than Harpo. I wonder if he's a caricature. I'm not sure what Cock is doing to Jenny's decolletage behind that umbrella.

Note that there is no question of who killed Cock Robin in the rhyme; the sparrow admits it in the first line. Legs Sparrow is not the killer in this. (Or even the shooter.) They even keep the accused on Condemned Row.

The rhyme:
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/who_killed_cock_robin.htm

"Who killed Cock Robin?" "I," said the Sparrow,
"With my bow and arrow, I killed Cock Robin."
"Who saw him die?" "I," said the Fly,
"With my little eye, I saw him die."
"Who caught his blood?" "I," said the Fish,
"With my little dish, I caught his blood."
"Who'll make the shroud?" "I," said the Beetle,
"With my thread and needle, I'll make the shroud."
"Who'll dig his grave?" "I," said the Owl,
"With my pick and shovel, I'll dig his grave."
"Who'll be the parson?" "I," said the Rook,
"With my little book, I'll be the parson."
"Who'll be the clerk?" "I," said the Lark,
"If it's not in the dark, I'll be the clerk."
"Who'll carry the link?" "I," said the Linnet,
"I'll fetch it in a minute, I'll carry the link."
"Who'll be chief mourner?" "I," said the Dove,
"I mourn for my love, I'll be chief mourner."
"Who'll carry the coffin?" "I," said the Kite,
"If it's not through the night, I'll carry the coffin."
"Who'll bear the pall? "We," said the Wren,
"Both the cock and the hen, we'll bear the pall."
"Who'll sing a psalm?" "I," said the Thrush,
"As she sat on a bush, I'll sing a psalm."
"Who'll toll the bell?" "I," said the bull,
"Because I can pull, I'll toll the bell."
All the birds of the air fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
When they heard the bell toll for poor Cock Robin.

This cartoon marks the halfway done mark for the year. So the first half of the calendar year is slightly heavier than the second. 

3 comments:

  1. Everyone "of a certain age" knows Cock Robin, or at least mostly knows it. Walt Kelly had his own hilarious recounting in "The Pogo Peek-A-Book" http://www.grundoon.com/Yoo_Hoo,_Killed_Cock_Robin.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing the Cock Robin rhyme drifted out of kids'-stuff commonality somewhere around the 1960s—when concerns about violence first raised their heads.
    Many rhymes and stories that were once considered timeless have followed the same path: most for racial/ethnic reasons, but some not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of interest, a clip from this cartoon is scene in Alfred Hitchcock's 1936 thriller "Sabotage" (starring Oscar Homolka and Sylvia Sydney), part of which takes place in a small London movie theatre.

    ReplyDelete